Today we are in Manta, Ecuador. This is where the original
Panama hat originated. This city has existed since pre-Columbian times and has
served as the largest seaport in Ecuador for centuries. It is an enormous tuna
port and many of the major tuna companies are based here. There were fishing
fleets in the port today, and it was interesting watching them provision for
their next trip.
Outside this town are small villages where the Panama Hat is
made. We visited one today and it was very interesting to see the labor that
goes into each one. We did not buy any, as we are looking for a hat with a tie
under the chin, so it does not blow off. We met some people who had just what
we are looking for and they got it in Australia. We will probably wait till we
get there to get our hats.
We also visited a button factory today. They make buttons
and jewelry out of nuts. The items look just like ivory. I bought some cat
earrings. Again, it is amazing how much work goes into this process.
Tomorrow starts the beginning of 8 sea days. I will post
part way across the Pacific with some pictures around the ship. On Thursday we
have another formal night and will try to remember to get a picture. I hope
that everyone is enjoying reading this.
These pictures start out with a couple of views from our
tour bus. Then we see the button factory (from nuts). You will see a big brown thing
that is the pod which holds the nuts. We then went to the Panama hat factory
and finally the church. I also have a couple of pictures showing the fishing
fleet followed by the sunset. I hope you all enjoy. We usually post late
afternoon when the Internet seems faster.





















Gary and I are enjoying the posts. Enjoy the sea days!
ReplyDelete